Read this Patient Information that comes with memantine hydrochloride before you start taking it and each time you get a refill. There may be new information. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your medical condition or your treatment.
What is Memantine Hydrochloride?
Memantine hydrochloride is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of moderate to severe dementia in people with Alzheimer’s disease. Memantine hydrochloride belongs to a class of medicines called NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) inhibitors.
It is not known if memantine hydrochloride is safe and effective in children.
Who should not take Memantine Hydrochloride?
Do not take memantine hydrochloride if you are allergic to memantine or any of the ingredients in memantine hydrochloride tablets. See the end of this leaflet for a complete list of ingredients in memantine hydrochloride tablets.
What should I tell my doctor before taking Memantine hydrochloride?
Before you take Memantine hydrochloride, tell your doctor if you:
- have or have had seizures
- have or have had problems passing urine
- have or have had bladder or kidney problems
- have liver problems
- have any other medical conditions
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if Memantine hydrochloride will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if Memantine hydrochloride passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you will take Memantine hydrochloride or breastfeed.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Taking Memantine hydrochloride with certain other medicines may affect each other. Taking Memantine hydrochloride with other medicines can cause serious side effects.
Especially tell your doctor if you take:
- other NMDA antagonists such as amantadine, ketamine, and dextromethorphan
- medicines that make your urine alkaline such as carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and sodium bicarbonate
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a list of these medicines, if you are not sure.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them to show your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
How should I take Memantine hydrochloride?
- Your doctor will tell you how much Memantine hydrochloride to take and when to take it.
- Your doctor may change your dose if needed.
- Memantine hydrochloride can be taken with food or without food.
- Do not use any tablets of Memantine hydrochloride that are damaged or show signs of tampering.
- If you forget to take one dose of Memantine hydrochloride, do not double up on the next dose. You should take only the next dose as scheduled.
- If you have forgotten to take Memantine hydrochloride for several days, you should not take the next dose until you talk to your doctor.
- If you take too much Memantine hydrochloride, call your doctor or poison control center at 1-800-222-1222 right away, or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
What are the possible side effects of Memantine hydrochloride?
Memantine hydrochloride may cause side effects, including:
The most common side effects of Memantine hydrochloride include:
These are not all the possible side effects of Memantine hydrochloride. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
How should I store Memantine Hydrochloride?
- Store Memantine Hydrochloride at room temperature between 59°F to 77°F (15°C to 30°C).
What are the ingredients in Memantine hydrochloride?
Active ingredients: memantine hydrochloride
Inactive ingredients: microcrystalline cellulose, dibasic calcium phosphate anhydrous, croscarmellose sodium, colloidal silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate
Inactive ingredients of tablet film coating: hypromellose, titanium dioxide, polyethylene glycol, FD&C Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue 2 Aluminum Lake (5 mg tablets), and hypromellose, titanium dioxide, triacetin, black iron oxide, yellow iron oxide, red iron oxide (10 mg tablets)
Keep Memantine hydrochloride and all medicines out of the reach of children.
General information about the safe and effective use of Memantine hydrochloride.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not take Memantine hydrochloride for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give Memantine hydrochloride to other people, even if they have the same condition. It may harm them.
This Patient Information leaflet summarizes the most important information about Memantine hydrochloride. If you would like more information, talk with your doctor. You can ask your doctor or pharmacist for information about Memantine hydrochloride that was written for healthcare professionals.
For more information, call 1-844-834-0530.
Lannett Company, Inc.
Philadelphia, PA 19136